A week or so ago a friend posted a comment on Facebook asking for advice on how to de-stress. I think I came up with about 10 ways to help de-stress at the time. However, it’s not always easy to remember good advice when you’re in the middle of a FREAKING OUT moment, ha ha.
We all know stress is not good for us. It can cause all sorts of health problems and can also affect your ability to lose weight! I’m not going to geek out on you and tell you all the many reasons how stress plays a role in preventing weight loss. I’m not going to talk about the way the body uses it’s “Fight or Flight” response, or use big words like, adrenal glands, or use hormone words like cortisol, adrenaline, or leptin. No, that’s what Google and free time are for. 😉
What I will do is share the top 10 ways that I de-stress.
1. Go for a walk and get fresh air. Just getting fresh air and removing myself from the situation helps.
2. Breath. Shocker right? Like we haven’t been told this our whole life. It’s true though. Taking a few long deep breaths in through the nose and out through the mouth can really have a calming effect. Ask any yogi.
3. Play. Yes, play! Play with your kids or get on the floor and play with your dogs. Don’t have either? Call a friend and go play a game of football, basketball,dodge ball (you can dodge a wrench right?) or a board game to take your mind off of things for a bit.
4. Get 8 hours sleep. No, not 7 or 6; yes 8 hours. Very important! Turn off all electronics at least an hour before bed time. Bob and I recently bought battery operated candles. We turn them on 30 minutes prior to bed and start to unwind from our day. We just started this, so the jury is out if it is worth it, but I’ll keep you posted.
5. Ask for help. That’s a biggie, sometimes our pride gets in the way of asking for help. We don’t want our boss to think we are incapable of the new work load placed on us, or that our spouse might not think we have it all together if we need their help cleaning the house. It’s okay, just ask! Perhaps a relative can watch the kids for a bit while you get an hour or two to yourself. Sometimes a friend can be the answer to prayers when you need a favor…like help with the kids or even housework. When my kids where little a few of my best gal pals got together once a week and alternated cleaning each others house. Trust me, you get to know someone really well when they are folding your husbands underwear! By the way if you’re moving, don’t call me. Just kidding!
6. Workout. Whether you need to go for a run, pound some slam balls or do a yoga class, go get some exercise, and switch it up from time to time.
7. Meditate / Pray. Do it every morning before your day starts. Doesn’t need to be long, just 3 to 5 minutes will do. It helps to write down 3 things that you are thankful for everyday and how you hope your day will go. Then write down 3 more things you are thankful for before you go to bed. Sometimes repeating a mantra, scripture verse or a quote helps too.
8. Hot bath and a glass of wine followed by a foot rub and sometimes a nice cozy new pair of pajamas.
9. Laugh, this can be hard when you are really feeling stressed out of your mind. I sometimes will put on the comedy station, or just watch people. No, not in a peeping tom way, please stay away from peoples windows. I just watch people in public places. People watching is the best! Just find a way, anyway to laugh. I laugh at myself a lot!
10. Sometimes you just have to FREAK OUT! I bet you were not expecting that one. I think it’s okay to have a moment where you lose your shit. (yes, I said a bad word. Sometimes I think it’s okay to use your favorite curse word while freaking out.) Well, perhaps not on the road while driving, or in the super market or at a family dinner; although that last one makes for some great holiday memories! But, in the privacy of your own space. A quiet house, in a pillow, in a car with the music turned up by yourself. Or even to a friend or spouse. Just warn them first and please don’t freak out on them or do it too often! If you’re close and have a good trusting relationship, just tell them you need to vent for a second, that you know you are going to look or sound like a mad man, and that you don’t want them to fix it. You just want them to nod yes and agree with you. Of course this only applies to a good trusting relationship. (
Ray Rice need not apply sorry couldn’t help myself on that one.) Let me be clear that if you do lose it to a friend our spouse make sure it’s clear that they know that you are not mad/angry with them. You just need an ear to bend and someone to tell you that you are right.
Question: What do you do to relieve stress?