Blah! That’s how I feel right not, blah. Why? Because I have been a bit off track with my healthy eating, and when I say a bit off track, I really mean way off track! My fall comfort food cravings, Halloween goodies, and a few social gatherings, have caught up to me. My clothes are feeling a bit tight and while I may want to blame the dryer for shrinking my jeans, workout pants,
even my underwear, I know it’s really the choice of foods I have been consuming, so it’s time to get back on track!
Thanksgiving is just a week away and instead of waiting until after Thanksgiving or the Holidays to clean up my meals, or snacks, I figured I would start now. The sooner my pants start to fit better again the better I will feel.
So below are 5 healthy habits I’m going to start incorporating into my daily routine to help me get back on track.
- Drink more water. I have been a bit dehydrated lately, my lips are dry and I am more thirsty than usual. So, I’ll drink more water and have 1 full glass every morning before I finish my coffee.
- Cut out unhealthy sugary snacks. My sweet tooth has caught up to me over the last month. Halloween candy, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, chocolate caramel pecan turtles, hot chocolate, and cinnamon twists have made their way into my mouth more often then I care to admit.
- Watch my portions/serving size. I’m not one to go back for seconds unless it’s cookies or pizza but using a smaller plate, and just making sure I’m eating a serving as opposed to a serving and a half or more will definitely assist in my goal of losing a few inches.
- Pay attention to my carb intake and limit or increase when needed. This doesn’t mean that I will take out all carbs from my diet. Hello, my brain needs to function and in order for my brain to work it needs glucose. However, I will choose healthy carbs in the form of vegetables and some fruit as opposed to oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I will incorporate carbs around my workouts too. My body responds well to post workout carbs. I am going to decrease my carbs to about 100 to 125 grams only on rest days. Again, decrease not omit. There have been days here recently where I had three bananas and two apples in one day, so I’m going back to my two pieces of fruit a day rule.
- Pay more attention to my fat intake. Fat is my friend, but too much of a good thing can lead to weight gain and a belly that jiggles. I drink Bullet Proof coffee in the morning, which means I put grass fed butter and MCT oil in my coffee instead of cream. However, if I am putting fat in my coffee, using coconut oil to cook with, putting almond butter on a banana, and eating a few handfuls of nuts my calorie intake is going way up and more then likely I’m taking in more fat then I need to. So, I’m going to cut back to half a tablespoon of grass-fed butter, and half a tablespoon of MCT oil instead of 1 tablespoon of both in my coffee. I’m going to start paying more attention to how much fat I am eating on a daily basis. Adjusting and limiting when needed.
So, that is my plan over the next month. I will keep you up to speed with my progress from time to time. Notice I didn’t incorporate my workouts or meal plans/prep. My workouts are always scheduled a week in advance on my calendar and I’m pretty consistent with my meal plan/prep. If you have any helpful tips or want to share some healthy habits that work for you please leave a comment in the reply section!
Disclaimer: I am only sharing 5 tips of what I plan to do to help me with my personal goals. I am not recommending a certain way of eating or encouraging anyone to eat like me.